1.1.13 Power Endurance

Workout
Throw Medicine Balls (various – 5 minutes)
Then:
2×5 Wall Squat
2×10 Shoulder Dislocates
Then:
15m Forward Lunge + 10x Squats
15m Reverse Lunge + 10x Jump Squats
15m Forward Lunge + 5x Burpee 
15m Reverse Lunge + 15m Bear Crawl
Then:
100 Rep Challenge KB Push Press
100 reps @ 1/3 BW (for example, a 200lb athlete would use approx. 2×35# KBs)
Every time the athlete puts the KBs down perform 7x Burpee/Pull-ups OR 10x Burpees
Ensure on every rep that the athlete returns to the rack position, pauses, and fully locks out each press.
Then:
30s Sprint on Airdyne, Rower, or Ski Erg +
12x (6 each) Weighted Lunge @ 1/3 BW + 5# (hold two KBs in FC position)
Continue until you complete 150 calories on Airdyne 
Then:
“Cool Down” with 50x Dips 
 
Participants
[gp_workout1]
 
Coach’s Comments
Happy New Year! While I’m not big on New Year’s resolutions, the new year does offer an opportunity to reflect upon the experiences of the previous year and set new goals for the future. It’s a chance to re-establish a new baseline; a starting place, whether it’s in the gym or outside the gym. Before you do so think back to where you were last year at this time and how far you’ve come in 12 months. If you’ve been consistent, trained hard, and listened you’ve likely made huge strides. On the other hand, if you’ve been inconsistent, lazy, and non-compliant maybe it’s time to get focused again. The new year is like a new day. It provides fresh energy and a renewed sense of self. Take advantage and start the new year off on the right foot. 
 
I encourage you to set some realistic, tangible goals in the gym for 2013. I also encourage you to honestly assess your capabilities. Don’t be scared to admit your shortcomings. The gym is a wonderful place to develop self-confience. Self-confidence is blessing and curse. Victories in the gym can potentially sabotage us into getting comfortable with our strengths and less diligent about putting in the work that really needs to be done.
 
A good method for goal setting is to envision your ideal YOU. I recommend categorizing your goals into training, professional, and personal/relationship. Training goals are highly individualized. We all want something different when it comes to our fitness. Some want more strength. Some are in search of greater flexibility, less pain. Others simply want to be more consistent, eat better, sleep better, or have more energy.
 
What has stopped you from accomplishing these goals? More than likely there are several reasons why. Honesty here is critical. Start small to get the snow ball rolling. Once one small goal is accomplished, move to the next, then the next, then the next. Along the way find ways to stay motivated. I like to read books, go to lectures from people I admire, and write things down. I find this keeps me focused, with my eye on the prize. Energy for goal accomplishment is key. If you can stay excited and energized for a goal your likelihood of achieving it is significantly higher. Maybe you need a training partner. Maybe you need to start working our early in the day instead of late. Maybe you need to stop eating like shit so your hard work in the gym can pay greater dividends. 
 
The point here is simple: Identify the problem, establish a course of action, follow it through, and reflect often to either re-establish the goal or set a new one. In either case we need to stay connected to what we want and surround ourselves with people who support those objective. 90% of all people who make New Year’s resolutions fail in the first two weeks. The other 10% a month later. Success in life, business, and personal endeavors all at the same time is a rarity. It’s a multi-factorial process and it takes focus and intention, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. As I’ve said before, self-awareness is key. Pay attention. The odds are stacked against you. Most people want you to fail because they already have.