I meet a lot of clients who have persistent digestive issues (bloating, loose stools/diarrhea, gas, abdominal pain, etc.). This is an extremely complex and multi-factorial issue that deserves thorough testing and evaluation. I recommend a good functional medicine practitioner if symptoms persist.
I operate under the premise “keep it simple until simple doesn’t work.”
Here are several things to consider if digestion is an issue for you:
- Drink 1-2 glasses of water approx. 15 minutes prior to each meal.
- Avoid processed foods and/or foods that are enzyme and nutrient deficient.
- Stick to whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible.
- Use digestive enzymes for heavier, protein-dense meals if you are chronically stressed. Chronic stress lowers HCL (hydrochloric acid) production. I’ve also found that O-Blood Types produce naturally higher amounts of HCL and typically handle protein-rich meals easier. However, if you are NOT an O-Type, consider supplementing with digestive enzymes or HCL during heavier meals.
- Chew your food until it is liquified (parasites love undigested proteins and sugars)
- If digestion is challenged, eat smaller meals more frequently.
- Whenever possible start meals with live foods for enzyme support (i.e. raw leafy greens, salads, papaya, pineapple, etc.)
- Avoid consuming more liquid than needed to wash foods down while eating. Too much liquid DURING your meal can actually dilute your digestive enzymes.
- Those with digestive troubles should NOT read while eating. Vision is very energy demanding and the eyes are reflexively linked to digestion.
- Use unprocessed sea salt as needed. This supports HCL production.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise stimulates digestion and metabolism. People who do not move a lot tend to get constipated.
- Supplement with Zinc. Zinc is needed for HCL production.
If you are experiencing digestive issues and there are multiple things on this list you are not doing, start here. Sometimes the simplest solution is the right solution.